The Versatility of Leather

The first projects I and many other leather workers learned on were 3 discs of leather, 3.25" in diameter, found in the Beginning Kit with some tools from Tandy Leather Company. I've kept those first works of mine as a constant reminder of where I came from all those years ago. As artisans learn we often moved in different directions to fullfill desires for achievement, ribbons in competition or needs in a market that would provide a living. I worked a full time job in graphic arts and marketing and, like many leather artisans did leather work as a hobby.

Over the years, decades actually because we are not discussing 5 year periods here, I learned how to make a great many different kinds of things with leather; wallets, belts, key cases, photo albums using kits but, as knowledge grew so did the styles and types of products made; holsters, knife sheaths, custom works of all kinds and patterns, designs and publishing. No matter how many awards were won and how many shows I judged, there were always three rounders, now hanging on the wall of my workshop.

One day, while looking at those rounders, I had a new idea. I'd written articles on Christmas ornaments and coasters, things made with a round piece of leather. Here's a project made with 3 - 6" rounders. It has been sealed inside to hold water, a very lovely vase.

Save those first leather working pieces and see what you come up with when you combine years of knowledge with a simple learning experience from long ago. Just a thought! Silva Fox

visit silvafoxartistry.com and see my work on Linked-In, Facebook, Instagram

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learning and Reinventing Wheels

Designing patterns