Learning and Reinventing Wheels

silva fox artistry


For the Leather Artisans:

I've been an artist all my life and have found that just when I discover something new, a product, style or technique, someone else has found it too! So you don't feel as let down as I do when this kind of thing happens I'm giving a heads up on things I want to share. Most will have to do with my number one passion--ART, more specifically LEATHER ART, and even MORE specifically Wildlife, Tame life and Flora which I have been doing for quite a while. I don't do basket weave because I can't manage a straight line and I don't make; gloves, saddles (though I did make one for my grandson's rocking horse), boots, pants, utility belts, etc.

My expertise lies in creating ART that is life-like in tooling leather so I will share those techniques. I hate wasting time on preparations for carving leather, there are efficient ways of doing things and a way of creating exciting patterns when you can't draw anything but a straight line. I will be sharing tips, tricks and technique in this blog.


Laughing Zebras, 36" x 24", Stripes have been raised to show the pattern on the animal. This painting was well received at the Accent on Access show for the visually impaired/legally blind "viewers" at the Thompson center in Chicago.  

 

For the Buyers:

Chick-a-Dee & Pinecone


A juried show I participated in for the legally blind at the Thompson Center in Chicago, opened my eyes to the sensory possibilities of my medium, leather. Several of my works were being "shown" and one framed picture of a chick-a-dee with a pine cone I displayed with an actual pine cone. I would give the pine cone to the person and let them take in the texture then I put their hand on the raised and textured pine cone in the picture. I watched in awe the emotion of each viewer as they touched the work identifying each subject. One lady had recently lost her vision in an accident and tears of joy streamed down her face. That emotion is what I strive to capture in every work.

I too am a collector who studies subjects, mediums and techniques in traditional oils on canvas, acrylic, pastels, watercolor and many sculptural styles and methods. Leather offers a wonderful tactile nature that allows me to create original works with depth and true dimension in a medium that has passed the test of time. Please visit my silvafoxartistry.com for a look at the past, present and future.

Enjoy! visit silvafoxartistry.com and see my work on Linked-In, Facebook, Instagram



Silva Fox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Designing patterns